Vermont covered bridges typify the beauty and grace of simple structures

Covered Bridges in VermontFew structures in America combine architectural ingenuity, economic necessity, and romantic idealism better than the covered bridge. Covered bridges flourished in the United States in the 19th century. Vermont, with about 104 of them, has the highest density of bridges. Vermont and New Hampshire share the Cornish-Windsor Bridge, the longest wooden covered bridge in the United States.

Individual inventiveness played an important role in the proliferation of covered bridges. As the industry grew, builders experimented and adapted each other’s designs in hopes of building stronger bridges with the fewest materials. Covered bridges grew in popularity in the early 20th century and became subjects for artists and advertisers.

[Thanks to Hank and Marlee Bickel and their Web site, www.coveredbridgesite.com, and to the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibition Service and the Montshire Museum of Science]

Baltimore Bridge

Off Route 106 Springfield, VT 05156

Location: N. next to Route 106.

The Baltimore Bridge, built in 1870, was originally located in North Springfield. It was moved to its present location near the Eureka Schoolhouse in 1970. Town lattice truss; 37 feet long. This is a state-owned historic site.

Best / Swallows Bridge

Churchill Road Brownsville, VT 05037

Location: 1.3 miles southeast of the junction of Route 106 on Route 44; then 0.1 mile right on Churchill Road.

The Best Bridge, built in 1889, carries Churchill Road over the Mill Brook. Tied arch; 37 feet long. Roadside parking.

Bowers / Brownsville Bridge

Bible Hill Road Brownsville, VT 05037

Location: Off Route 44. Travel 1.1 west of main intersection in Brownsville on Route 44; then 0.2 right and 0.1 right on Bible Hill Road.

The Bowers Bridge, built in 1919, carries Bible Hill Road over the Mill Brook in Brownsville. Tied arch; 45 feet long. Parking along the road.

Brown Bridge

Cold River Road Shrewsbury, VT 05738

Location: E. off Route 7. Travel 0.4 miles south of the junction of US4 on US7, turn right and go 0.5 miles on Route 7B to North Clarendon, then 0.7 miles left to East River Road. Then 0.1 miles ahead to Cold River Road, then right 1.6 miles and left 0.3

The Brown Bridge was built in 1880 by Nicholas Powers, who was famous for constructing these bridges. It carries Upper Cold River Road over the Cold River. Town lattice truss; 118 feet long. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Cilley / Lower Bridge

Ward Hill Road Tunbridge, VT 05077

Location: W. off Route 110. Travel 0.8 miles southwest of Tunbridge Village center on Route 110; then 0.2 miles right on Ward Hill Road.

The Cilley Bridge, built in 1883, carries Ward Hill Road over the First Branch of the White River. Multiple kingpost truss; 66 feet long. Parking on either side of the bridge.

Coburn / Cemetery Bridge

On Coburn Road East Montpelier, VT 05651

Location: NW off Route 2

This bridge, built in 1851, crosses the Winooski River (formerly known as the Onion River). The trusses and structure are intact; the original deck has been replaced. Queenpost trusses; 70 feet long.

Cooley Bridge

Elm Street Pittsford, VT 05763

Location: Old Pittsford, Proctor Road. Travel 1.1 miles northwest of the junction of Route 3 on US7 then left at the second turn on Elm Street; then 1.2 miles to the bridge.

The Cooley Bridge, built in 1849 by Nicholas Powers, carries Elm Street over the Furnace Brook. Town lattice truss; 53 feet long. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Cornish-Windsor Bridge

Crosses the Connecticut River between Bridge Street, Windsor, VT, and NH Route 12A, Cornish, NH Windsor, VT 05089

Location: 0.3 miles south of the junction of Route 44 at Windsor on US5 then 0.2 miles left.

Probably the most prominent of all of Vermont’s and New Hampshire’s covered bridges, the Cornish-Windsor Bridge, built in 1866, is the longest wooden covered bridge in the United States and the longest two-span covered bridge in the world. At 450 feet long, the bridge consists of two spans supported by Town lattice trusses. The pier stands nearly under the midpoint of the bridge: the two clear spans measure 204.6 feet and 203.7 feet. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Three earlier bridges at this spot, the first of them built in 1796, were destroyed by floods. The bridge, which originally cost $9,000 to build, was rebuilt in 1989 at a cost of $4,450,000 and reopened on December 8, 1989.

Cornwall-Salisbury Bridge Cornwall-Salisbury Bridge Salisbury VT

Off Route 30 Salisbury, VT 05769

Location: E. off Route 30. Travel 3.2 miles south of junction of Route 74 on Route 30; then 1.3 miles left on Swamp Road.

The Cornwall-Salisbury Bridge is also known by the names Station Bridge, Creek Road Bridge, Cedar Swamp Bridge, and Salisbury Station Bridge. This one-lane bridge, built in 1865, carries Creek Road in Salisbury and Swamp Road in Cornwall over Otter Creek. Town lattice truss; 153 feet long. Parking in small lot near bridge.

Depot Bridge

Depot Road Pittsford, VT 05763

Location: 1.3 miles NW of the junction of Route 3 on US7 in Pittsford then left a half mile then left 0.3 miles on Depot Road.

The Depot Bridge, built in 1840, carries Depot Road over the Otter Creek. Town lattice; 121 feet long. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Downers / Upper Falls Bridge Downers / Upper Falls Bridge Weathersfield VT

Upper Falls Road Weathersfield, VT 05151

Location: S. off route 131. Travel 0.3 miles west of junction of Route 106 on Route 44; then 0.1 miles left on Upper Falls Road.

The Downers or Upper Falls Bridge, built in about 1840 and restored in 1975-76, carries Upper Falls Road over the Black River in Amsden. Town lattice truss; 120 feet long. Roadside parking.

Flint Bridge

Bicknell Hill Road Tunbridge, VT 05077

Location: E. off Route 110. Travel 3.2 miles south of junction Route 113 and Chelsea; then 0.1 miles left on Bicknell Hill Road.

The Flint Bridge, built in 1845, carries Bicknell Hill Road over the First Branch of the White River. Multiple kingpost truss; 87 feet long. Parking on either side of the bridge.

Gifford / C.K. Smith Bridge

Hyde Road East Randolphe, VT 05041

Location: 1.7 miles south of Route 66 on Route 14, then 0.1 miles left on Hyde Road.

The Gifford Bridge was built in 1904 and is one of the newest of the historic covered bridges in Vermont. It carries Hyde Road over the Second Branch of the White River in East Randolph. Multiple kingpost truss; 46 feet long. Parking on either side of the bridge.

Gorham / Goodnough Bridge

Gorham Bridge Road Pittsford, VT 05763

Location: About 2 miles south of the junction of US7 at Pittsford Mills on Route 3 then right on Gorham Bridge Road a half mile to the bridge.

The Gorham or Goodnough Bridge, built in 1841, carries Gorham Bridge Road over the Otter Creek. Town lattice truss; 114 feet long. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Halpin / High Bridge

Off Route 7 Middlebury, VT 05753

Location: East off Route 7. Travel 0.1 miles southeast of junction of Route 30 on US7; then 1.3 miles left on Washington Street; then 1.6 miles left on Halpin Road; 0.3 miles right on dead-end road.

The Halpin Bridge, built in 1824, carries Halpin Road over Muddy Branch of the New Haven River. Town lattice truss; 66 feet long. Parking available on west side of the bridge.

Hammond Bridge

Off Route 7 Pittsford, VT 05763

Location: W. off Route 7. Travel 2.2 miles of the junction of Route 3 at Pittsford Mills on Route 7 past Pittsford then left 0.8 mile and just right to the bridge.

The Hammond Bridge, built in 1843, carries Kendall Hill Road over the Otter Creek, but it is closed to vehicular traffic. During the Flood of 1927, the bridge floated more than a mile down Otter Creek. It was undamaged, and was towed back to his site on a barge of empty barrels. Town lattice truss; 145 feet long. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Howe Bridge

Belknap Brook (Hill) Road Tunbridge, VT 05077

Location: E. next to Route 110. Travel 1.1 miles north Windsor County line on Route 110; then just right on Belknap Brook (Hill) Road.

The Howe Bridge, built in 1879, carries Bellnap Brook Road (also known as Hill Road) over the First Branch of the White River in South Tunbridge. Multiple kingpost truss; 75 feet long.

Kingsbury / Hyde Hall Bridge

Kingsbury Road Randolphe, VT 05060

Location: W. next to Route 14. Travel 0.4 miles north of Windsor County line on Route 14, then just left on Kingsbury Road.

The Kingsbury Bridge was built in about 1904 and is one of the newest of the historic covered bridges in Vermont. It carries Kingsbury Road over the Second Branch of the White River in South Randolph. Multiple kingpost truss; 46 feet long. Parking available on the Route 14 side of the bridge.

Kingsley Bridge

East Road East Clarendon, VT 05759

Location: SW. off Route 103. Travel 0.2 miles east of the junction of US7B on Route 103 then right 1.2 miles on Airport Road and right again on River Road; then left on East Road 0.1 miles to the bridge.

The Kingsley Bridge, built in 1838, carries Congdon Road over Mill River. Town lattice truss; 135 feet long. A mill is located adjacent to the bridge a short distance downstream. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Larkin Bridge

Larkin Road Tunbridge, VT 05077

Location: E. off Route 110. Travel 1.0 miles northeast of Tunbridge Village center on Route 110, then 0.1 miles right on Larkin Road.

The Larkin Bridge, built in 1902, carries Larkin Road over the First Branch of the White River. Multiple kingpost truss; 66 feet long. Parking available beyond the bridge.

Lincoln Bridge

Fletcher Hill Road West Woodstock, VT 05091

Location: S. next to Route 4. Travel 3.1 miles west of junction Route 106 on US4; then left on Fletcher Hill Road. Visible from US4.

The Lincoln Bridge, built in 1865, carries Fletcher Hill Road over Ottauquechee River. This is a one-of-a-kind modified Pratt truss with an arch; 136 feet long.

Lower Cox / Newell / Second Bridge

Cox Brook Road Northfield Falls, VT 05663

Location: W. off Route 12 on Cox Brook Road. The turnoff is to the west, at the main intersection in Northfield Falls, then 0.2 miles down Cox Brook Road. Travel across Station Bridge and the bridge is visible.

The Lower Bridge, built about 1872, carries Cox Brook Road over Cox Brook. This is the only location where one historic covered bridge in Vermont can been seen from another; from the Lower Bridge you can see the Station Bridge, which is just down the road. This bridge is also known as the Newell and Second Bridge. Queenpost truss; 55 feet long. Good parking area near the bridge on south side of Cox Brook Road.

Martin / Orton Farm Bridge

Off U.S. 2 Plainfield, VT 05650

The Martin Bridge, built in 1890, crosses the Winooski River. A private bridge, first it was named the Martin Bridge, and was later renamed the Orton Barn after the Orton family bought the property. It is now called the Martin Bridge again. Queenpost truss construction; 45 feet long. Traffic on the bridge is prohibited.

Martin’s Mill / Martinsville Bridge

Martinsville Road Hartland, VT 05048

Location: E. off Route 5. Travel 0.4 mile north of the junction I-91 on US5; then 0.6 miles right on Martinsville Road.

The Martins Mill or Martinsville Bridge, built in 1881, carries Martinsville Road over the Lulls Brook. Town lattice truss; 135 feet long. Parking to the right before crossing the bridge.

Middle / Union Street Bridge

Union Street Woodstock, VT 05091

Location: Off Route 4. Travel 0.1 miles west of the junction Route 12 North on US4, then just right on Union Street

The Middle Bridge, rebuilt in 1969 by Milton Graton, carries Union Street over the Ottauquechee River. Town lattice truss; 139 feet long. Parking in the village along US4.

Mill / Hayward / Noble Bridge

Howe Lane Tunbridge, VT 05077

Location: W. off Route 110 in village. Travel 0.1 miles west of Route 110 and Tunbridge Village center on Howe Lane.

The Mill Bridge, built in 1883, carries Spring Road over the First Branch of the White River. An ice jam destroyed the bridge on March 4, 1999, and the bridge was replaced in 2000. Multiple kingpost truss; 72 feet long. Parking on either side of the bridge.

Moseley Bridge / Stony Brook Bridge

Stony Brook Road Northfield, VT 05663

Location: W. off Route 12A on Stony Brook Road. Travel 1.6 miles from the junction of Route 12 and Route 12A, then turn right on Stony Brook Road and travel 0.2 miles. Take a left, bridge is 0.7 miles.

The Moseley Bridge, built in 1899, carries Stony Brook Road over Stony Brook. During a reconstruction in 1971 steel girders were added. Kingpost truss; 39 feet long. Good parking area near the bridge on north side of Stony Brook Road.

Moxley / Guy Bridge

Moxley Road Chelsea, VT 05038

Location: E. next to Route 110. Travel 2.5 miles south of junction Route 113 on Route 110, then 0.1 miles left on Moxley Road.

The Moxley Bridge, built in 1883, carries Moxley Road over the First Branch of the White River in Chelsea. Queenpost truss; 59 feet long. Parking is available on either side of the bridge along the shoulder.

Pine Brook / Wilder Bridge

North Road Waitsfield, VT 05673

Location: E. off Route 100. From Village Bridge travel east on Bridge Street to Waitsfield Commons. Take a left on North Road; 1.2 miles to the bridge.

The Pine Brook Bridge, built in 1872, carries North Road over Pine Brook just outside Waitsfield. Its structure has never been altered and it is open to public use. Kingpost truss; 48 feet long. Parking available on the north side of North Road.

Pulp Mill / Paper Mill Bridge

Pulp Mill Bridge Road Middlebury, VT 05753

Location: Travel 0.7 miles north of junction Route 125 on Route 23; then 0.5 miles right on Horse Road; and just right.

The Pulp Mill Bridge, finished in 1820, carries Pulp Mill Bridge Road over Otter Creek. Barrel Burr arch; 195 feet long. Parking available beyond bridge, and turn right.

Robbins Nest Bridge

Off U.S. 302 East Barre, VT 05649

Robbins Nest Bridge, which was built in 1965, replaces an earlier bridge that was lost to a flood in 1927. It crossed the Jail Branch. It is queenpost truss construction; 48 feet long. The bridge is private property and a driveway.

Salmond Bridge

Henry Gould Road Weathersfield, VT 05151

Location: E. off Route 131. Travel 2.4 miles east of the junction of Route 106 on Route 131; then 0.1 mile left on old section of Route 131 on Henry Gould Rd.

The Salmond Bridge, built about 1875, carries Henry Gould Road over the Black River. This bridge was moved to its current location in 1986. Multiple kingpost truss; 53 foot long. Parking for the picnic area also serves a parking for bridge viewers.

Sanderson / Lower Bridge

Pearl Street Extension Brandon, VT 05733

Location: S. off Route 7 in Brandon off Pearl Street extension.

The Sanderson Bridge, built in 1838, carries Pearl Street extension over the Otter Creek. Town lattice; 132 feet long. This bridge is no longer open to traffic. A steel bridge directly next to the Sanderson Bridge carries the traffic on Pearl Street. Parking in pulloff near bridge.

Sayers / Thetford Center Bridge

Tucker Hill Road Thetford Center, VT 05075

Location: S. off Route 113A. Travel 2.2 miles northwest of junction I-91 on Route 113 (Exit 14); then 0.2 miles left on Tucker Hill Road.

The Sayers Bridge carries Tucker Hill Road over the Ompompanoosuc River. Town lattice truss; 127 feet long. Parking is available on the south side of bridge.

Shoreham Railroad /Rutland Railroad Bridge

Off Route 22A East Shoreham, VT 05770

Location: Off Route 22A. Travel 2.7 miles north of junction Route 73 east on Route 30; then 2.8 miles east on Shoreham-Whiting Road; 0.7 miles on west side of road.

The East Shoreham Railroad Bridge, built in 1897, carries an abandoned rail line over Lemon Fair River. Howe truss; 108 feet long. Parking in lot near bridge also used by fishermen. This is a state-owned historic site.

Slaughter House Bridge

Slaughter House Road Northfield, VT 05663

Location: Off Route 12 on Slaughter House Road, formerly Bailey Street. The turnoff is 0.3 miles south of the main intersection in Northfield Falls, then 0.1 miles down Slaughter House Road to the bridge.

The Slaughter House Bridge, built about 1872, carries Slaughter House Road over the Dog River. Slaughter House Road was formerly named Bailey Road. Queenpost truss; 55 feet long. A small parking area is available on the left side of Slaughter House Road before crossing the bridge.

South Pomfret / Smith Bridge

South Pomfret-Woodstock Road South Pomfret, VT 05067

Location: 1.1 miles north of junction US4 on Route 12; then 1.7 miles right on South Pomfret-Woodstock Road and walk 0.1 left on farm access. Farm is posted for privacy.

The Smith Bridge carries a private road over Mill Brook. This bridge was moved to its current location in 1973 when a bridge from Lamoille County was cut in half. The other half of this bridge was on the site of the Twigg-Smith Bridge in Brownsville. The Twigg-Smith Bridge was removed in 2001. Town lattice truss; 39 feet long. Park along road, property is posted for privacy.

Spade Farm / Old Hollow Bridge

Off U.S. 7 Ferrisburg, VT 05456

Location: 3.9 miles north of junction Route 22A on west side of US7.

The Spade Farm Bridge crosses a farm pond and is used only for foot traffic. A sign on the bridge says it was built in 1824; some experts believe it was probably built in the 1850s. Town lattice truss; 85 feet long. Parking nearby in lot for Spade Farm.

Station Bridge

Cox Brook Road Northfield Falls, VT 05663

Location: W. off Route 12 on Cox Brook Road. The turnoff is to the west, at the main intersection in Northfield Falls, then 0.1 miles down Cox Brook Road to the bridge.

The Station Bridge, built about 1872, carries Cox Brook Road over the Dog River. This is the only location where one historic covered bridge in Vermont can been seen from another; from the Station Bridge you can see Lower Bridge, which is just down the road. This bridge is also known as the Northfield Falls and First Bridge. Town lattice truss; 138 feet long. Good parking area near Second Bridge down Cox Brook Road a short distance.

Taftsville Bridge

River Road Woodstock, VT 05091

Location: 0.5 miles west of the junction Route 12 on US4, then 0.1 miles right on River Road.

The Taftsville Bridge, built in 1836 and one of the oldest covered bridges in Vermont, carries River Road the over Ottauquechee River. Two-span multiple kingpost truss with an arch; 189 feet long; spans are 89 and 100 feet.

Titcomb / Stoughton Bridge

Off Route 106 Weathersfield, VT 05151

Location: S. off Route 106. Travel 0.3 miles south of the junction of Route 131 on Route 106; then 0.1 mile left, on a farm, across the street from Weathersfield Elementary School. Bridge is visible from highway.

The Titcomb or Stoughton Bridge, built about 1880, carries a foot trail on a farm over the Schoolhouse Brook. Multiple kingpost truss; 48 feet long. Parking in school parking lot.

Twin Bridge

East Pittsford Road Rutland, VT 05701

Location: 1.3 miles north of the junction of Route 4 east on US7 in Rutland then 0.8 mile right and ahead on East Pittsford Road to the bridge on the east side of the road.

The Twin Bridge, built in 1850, is on dry land and is not being used as a bridge. Originally a town lattice truss; 63 feet long. Parking available in town storage area near bridge.

Union Village Bridge

Academy Road Thetford, VT 05074

Location: 2.4 miles northwest of junction of US5 on Route 132; then 0.5 miles right and just right on Academy Road.

The Union Village Bridge, built in 1867, carries Academy Road over the Ompompanoosuc River. Town lattice truss; 111 feet long. Parking on the road before crossing the bridge.

Upper Cox / Third Bridge

Cox Brook Road Northfield Falls, VT 05663

Location: W. off Route 12 on Cox Brook Road. The turnoff is to the west, at the main intersection in Northfield Falls, then 0.4 miles down Cox Brook Road. Cross Station and Lower Bridge and the bridge is visible.

The Upper Bridge, built about 1872, carries Cox Brook Road over Cox Brook. This bridge is only 0.2 miles from the Lower Bridge and 0.4 miles from the Station Bridge on the same road. This bridge is also known as the Third Bridge. Queenpost truss; 51 feet long. Good parking area near the bridge on south side of Cox Brook Road.

Village / Big Eddy Bridge

Bridge Street Waitsfield, VT 05673

Location: E. of Route 100 on Bridge Street.

This bridge, built in 1833 and restored in 1975, is the oldest operating covered bridge in the state. It carries Bridge Street across the Mad River. The basic structure of the Great Eddy remains intact, but much of the flooring and braces were replaced in the 1970s. A pedestrian walkway, an original component that had been removed, also was rebuilt in the 1970s. The bridge has the longest clear span of any Burr truss bridge in Vermont. Multi-kingpost and Burr arch; 105 feet long. Parking available on village streets with a short walk to the bridge.

Warren Bridge

Warren Village Road Warren, VT 05674

Location: E. of Route 100 on Warren Village Road.

The Warren Bridge, a prominent symbol of the Town of Warren, was built in 1880, and it carries Warren Village Road over the Mad River in Warren. Unique features of this structure are the different portal openings at either end of the bridge. Queenpost truss; 59 feet long. Parking available along Covered Bridge Road.

Willard / North Hartland / East Twin Bridge

Mill Street North hartland, VT 05052

Location: At US 4 and US 5, travel south on US 5 for 5 miles to the I-91 underpass; after the underpass, turn east onto Evarts Road; travel 0.1 mile to Mill Street; left onto Mill Street; 0.2 mile to the Willard Twin bridges

The Willard Bridge, built in 1870, carries Mill Road over the Ottauquechee River. Town lattice truss; 128 feet long. Parking to the right before crossing the bridge.

Willard / North Hartland / West Twin Bridge

Mill Street North Hartland, VT 05052

Location: At US 4 and US 5, travel south on US 5 for 5 miles to the I-91 underpass; after the underpass, turn east onto Evarts Road; travel 0.1 mile to Mill Street; left onto Mill Street; 0.2 mile to the Willard Twin bridges

This bridge was built in 2001, a short distance down the Mill Road from the Willard Bridge. Town lattice truss; 80 feet long. Parking available to right before crossing the bridge.

Chamberlin / Chamberlin Mill Bridge

Off South Wheelock Road Lyndon, VT 05849

Built in 1881, this bridge crosses the South Wheelock Branch of the Passumpsic River. Queenpost truss; 69 feet long.

Church Street Bridge

Church Street Waterville, VT 05492

From intersection of Route 108 and Route 109, travel north on Route 109 about 4 miles; turn left on Church Street; travel 0.1 mile to bridge

Built in 1877, this covered bridge carries Church Street across the North Branch of the Lamoille River. Queenpost truss; 60 feet long. Still contains old ads and decorative stenciling on the inside.

Codding Hollow / Jaynes / Upper Bridge

Codding Hollow Road Waterville, VT 05492

From the intersection of Route 108 and Route 109, travel north on Route 109 about 6 miles; turn right onto Codding Hollow Road; travel 0.1 mile to bridge.

Built in 1877, the bridge carries Codding Hollow Road across the North Branch of the Lamoille River. Queenpost truss; 60 feet long. Also known as the Kissing Bridge, according to a sign posted by a visitor in the 1950s.

Columbia Bridge

Off Route 2 Lemington, VT 05903

Crosses the Connecticut River between Columbia, NH, and Lemington, VT. Location: Off Route 2

The Columbia Bridge, built in 1912, is the third bridge at this site, replacing a previous bridge that burned in 1911. A single span supported by Howe trusses, it is 146 feet long. The Columbia Bridge and Mount Orne Bridge (built 1912 at Lancaster, New Hampshire) are also the last covered bridges built on public highways during the historic period of covered bridge construction in New Hampshire and Vermont that began about 1820.

Comstock (VT) Bridge

Near Route 118 Montgomery, VT 05470

Location: S. next to Route 118

Comstock Bridge, built in 1883, crosses the Trout River. Town lattice construction. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

Creamery / West Hill / Crystal Springs Bridge

Creamery Bridge Road Montgomery, VT 05470

Location: S. off Route 118

Creamery Bridge, built in 1883, crosses West Hill Brook. Town lattice construction; 58 feet long. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

East Fairfield Bridge

Off Route 36 Fairfield, VT 05455

Location: Adjacent to Route 36

East Fairfield Bridge, built in 1865, carried Bridge Street across the Black Creek. Queenpost truss.

Fairfax Village / Lower / Maple Street Bridge

South of Route 104 Fairfax, VT 05454

Location: S. off Route 104

Fairfax Village Bridge, built in 1865, carries Spring Street across the Mill Brook. Lattice work truss.

Fisher Railroad / Chubb Bridge Fisher Railroad / Chubb Bridge Wolcott VT

Off Route 15 Wolcott, VT 05680

Location: S. off Route 15. Travel southeast of Wolcott about 11 miles from junction of Route 100hubb north of Morrisville on Route 15.

The Fisher Railroad Bridge, built in 1908, at one time carried the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County Railroad over the Lamoille River. The truss is a Town-Pratt with double lattice; 103 feet long. This bridge has a full-length cupola, which allowed the smoke from the steam locomotives to escape. Parking available at roadside park. This is a state-owned historic site.

Fuller / Black Falls Bridge

South Richford Road Montgomery, VT 05470

Location: N. next to Route 118

The Fuller Bridge, built in 1890, crosses Black Falls Brook on the edge of town. Town lattice construction. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

Gold Brook / Stowe Hollow / Emily’s Bridge

Off Route 100 Stowe, VT 05672

Location: E. off Route 100. Travel 1.8 miles south of junction Route 108 on Route 100; then 1.3 miles left on Gold Brook Road and just left on Covered Bridge Road.

Gold Brook Bridge, built in 1844, carries Gold Brook Road across the Gold Brook. Howe truss; 48 feet long. According to local lore, the covered bridge on this route is haunted by a young woman named Emily who hanged herself from the rafters after being spurned by her lover.

Green Banks Hollow Bridge

Off Route 2 Danville, VT 05828

Location: S. off Route 2

Greenbanks Hollow Bridge, build in 1886, carried Greenbanks Hollow Road across Joe’s Brook. Queenpost truss.

Hectorville / Gibou Bridge

Montgomery, VT 05470

The Hectorville Bridge, built in 1883, was so deteriorated and in danger of collapsing into the south Branch of the Trout River that the town dismantled it in mid-2005 and placed it into storage, pending a renovation play. Town lattice construction. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

Hopkins Bridge

Route 118 Enosburg, VT 05450

Location: W. next to Route 118

Hopkins Bridge, built in 1875, takes Hopkins Road across the Trout River. Town lattice construction; 90 feet long.

Hutchins Bridge

Off Route 118 South Montgomery, VT 05470

Location: W. off Route 118

Hutchins Bridge, built in 1883, takes Hutchins Bridge Road across the Trout River. Town lattice construction. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

Lake Shore / Holmes / Holmes Creek Bridge Lake Shore / Holmes / Holmes Creek Bridge Charlotte VT

Lake Road Charlotte, VT 05445

Location: West off Route 7. Travel west 1.4 miles from junction with US7 and SR5 (Ferry Road) on the east side of Charlotte; then north on Lake Road 1.8 miles to the bridge.

The Lake Shore or Holmes Creek Bridge is located on the shore of Lake Champlain and it carries Lake Road over Holmes Creek. The superstructure is a kingpost truss and a tied arch. It has a 39 foot span. Parking in pulloffs on north side of the bridge.

Longley / Harnois / Head Bridge

Longley Bridge Road Montgomery, VT 05470

Location: W. next to Route 118

Longley Bridge, built in 1863, takes Town Road 4 (Longley Bridge Road) across the Trout River. Town lattice construction. Montgomery holds bragging rights as the Vermont town with the most covered bridges, with six inside the town limits and one on the town border. As recently as the 1940s, 13 covered bridges were in use in Montgomery.

Lumber Mill Bridge

Mill Bridge Road Belvidere, VT 05442

Lumber Mill Bridge carries Mill Bridge Road across the north branch of the Lamoille River. Queenpost truss.

Miller’s Run Bridge

Center Street Lyndon, VT 05849

This bridge was built in 1878 and, because of safety problems, it was completely dismantled and restored in 1995, when a pedestrian walkway also was added. Crosses the Passumpsic River. Queenpost truss; 56 feet long.

Montgomery / Middle / Potter Bridge

Off Route 109 Waterville, VT 05492

From the intersection of Route 108 and Route 109, travel north on Route 109 about 5 miles; turn right onto Montgomery Road; turn right to the bridge.

Built in 1887, this bridge was named after the Dallas Montgomery Farm, which was nearby. It is also called the Middle Bridge because it is between the Jaynes or Upper Bridge upstream, and the Church or Lower Bridge, downstream. Queenpost truss; about 70 feet long.

Morgan / Upper Bridge

Off Route 109; Morgan Bridge Road Belvidere, VT 05442

From the intersection of Route 118 and Route 109, travel south on Route 109 about 6 miles; turn right onto Morgan Bridge Road and proceed to bridge.

Built in 1887, this bridge takes its name from the the family that owned the adjacent property. Queenpost truss; about 70 feet long.

Orne Bridge

Old Dump Road Irasburg, VT 05845

Location: Coventry Village

Orne Bridge, built in 1881 and rebuilt 2000, carries Old Dump Road over the Black River. Paddleford truss.

Poland / Junction / Station / Kissing Bridge

Off Route 15 Cambridge, VT 05444

Location: N. off Route 15

Poland Bridge, built in 1887, carries Cambridge Junction Road across Lamoille River. Burr arch; 152 feet long.

Power House / School Street Bridge

Near Route 100C Johnson, VT 05656

Location: W. next to Route 100C

Power House Bridge, built in 1870 and rebuilt in 2002, carries School Street across the Gihon River. Queenpost truss.

Quinlan / Lower Bridge

Monkton Road Charlotte, VT 05445

Location: Off Route 7 to North Ferrisburg. Travel Church Hill Road east 0.7 miles from junction with US7; continue east on Hinesburg Road 2.3 miles south on Spear Street 3.2 miles; south on Monkton Road; 50 feet to the bridge.

The Quinlan or Lower Bridge, built in 1849, carries Lewis Creek Road over Lewis Creek. Multi-kingpost truss and burr arch; 86 feet long. Parking in pulloffs near bridge.

Randall / Old Burrington Bridge

Off Burrlington Bridge Road Lyndon, VT 05849

Built in 1865, this bridge was bypassed when a traffic from the bridge road was rerouted to a new concrete-and-steel bridge. Crosses the East Branch of the Passumpsic River. Queenpost truss; 70 feet long.

Red / Sterling Bridge

Off Route 100 Morristown, VT 05661

Location: W. off Route 100. Travel 1.8 miles north of junction Route 108 on Route 100; then 0.7 miles left on Stagecoach Road; then 1.6 miles left and right on Cole Road.

Red Bridge, built in 1896, carries Cole Hill Road across Sterling Brook. Combination kingpost and queenpost truss system; 66 feet long. Parking available at the intersection before crossing the bridge.

River Road / School / Upper Bridge

Big Falls Road troy, VT 05868

Location: E. Route 110 on Big Falls Road

The River Road Bridge, built in 1910, carries Vielleux Road across the Missisquoi River. Lattice work truss.

Sanborn /Centre Bridge

Off US 5 Lyndon, VT 05849

Various dates in the late 1860s to early 1870s are given for the construction of this bridge. In 1960, plans were being made to tear the bridge down. The owner of the nearby Lyneburke Motel acquired the threatened bridge and had it moved to their property, where it spans the East Branch of the Passumpsic River. The public is allowed to respectfully enter the property to view the bridge. Paddleford truss, 117 feet long.

School House Bridge

South Wheelock Road Lyndon, VT 05849

Built in 1879, this bridge withstood and survived a tough onslaught of water and debris during the 1927 flood. Crosses the South Wheelock Branch of the Passumpsic River. Queenpost truss; 45 feet long.

Sequin / Seguin / Brown’s / Upper Bridge

Roscoe Road Charlotte, VT 05445

Location: Church Hill Road east 0.7 miles from junction with US7; east on Hinesburg Road 3.3 miles; south on Bean Road; 1.4 miles east, curve south and back east on Prindle Road; 1.4 miles south on Roscoe Road; 0.2 miles to the bridge.

The Sequin or Upper Bridge, built in 1849, carries Roscoe Road over Lewis Creek. This bridge was built in 1849. Multiple kingpost truss and Burr arch; 71 feet long. Parking in pulloffs near bridge.

Shelburne Museum Bridge

Near U.S. 7 Shelburne, VT 05482

Location: US7 south about 0.3 miles from junction with Harbor Road in Shelburne to the bridge on the west side of the road. The bridge is located southeast of Sherburne.

The Shelburne Museum Bridge is one of only two two-lane covered bridges in Vermont. This bridge carries an entrance to the Shelburne Museum (now closed) over Burr Pond just south of Shelburne. This bridge was built in 1845 in Cambridge, Vermont, and moved to its current location in 1951. Multi-kingpost truss and Burr arch; 168 feet long. Parking in pulloffs off Route 7.

Stowe Walkway Bridge

Route 108q Stowe, VT 05672

Location: On Route 108 in Stowe village.

The Stowe Walkway Bridge, built in 1973, carries Route 108 and a walkway over the Waterbury River. It is part of a steel stringer highway bridge; 150 feet long with two spans. Parking on Stowe village streets.

White Caps Bridge

Off Route 108 Stowe, VT 05672

Location: Off Route 108, 4.3 miles north from Route 100 in Stowe

The White Caps Bridge, built in about 1970, carries the Stowe Recreational Trail over the west branch of Waterbury River. Stringer bridge [meaning that it has no truss structure; support is simply horizontal beams across the stream]; 56 feet long. It parking available at locations along the Stowe Recreational Trail.

Bartonsville Bridge

Lower Bartonsville Road Bartonsville, VT 05143

Location: Off Route 103 on Lower Bartonsville Road at the south edge of Bartonsville.

The Bartonsville Bridge, built in 1870 by the Sanford Granger, is an impressive 158-foot-long town lattice. This bridge is one of the longest in Vermont. It carries Pleasant Valley Road over the Williams River. Parking on west side of the road.

Bridge at the Green/Arlington Bridge Bridge at the Green/Arlington Bridge Arlington VT

Covered Bridge Road Arlington, VT 05250

Location: Northwest of Arlington, Route 313 West 4.2 miles from junction with Route 7A in Arlington (just past West Arlington); south on Covered Bridge Road; then 200 feet to the bridge.

The often-photographed Bridge at the Green, just two miles from the New York State border, was built in 1852 and it carries an unnamed road over the Battenkill River. Town lattice truss; 80 feet long. Parking in lot near fishing hole.

Chiselville Bridge

Sunderland Hill Road Sunderland, VT 05250

Location: E. off Route 7. Travel east of Arlington, East Arlington Road east (curves north) 1.6 miles; continue north on Sunderland Hill Road; 0.4 miles to the bridge at Chiselville.

The Chiselville Bridge, built in 1870, carries Sunderland Hill Road over Roaring Branch Brook. The covered portion of the bridge is a town lattice truss and there is a center pier at mid span. It is worth the walk to go to the bottom of the ravine and view the bridge from below. Parking in pulloffs on the north side of the bridge.

Creamery / Centerville Bridge

Guilford Street Brattleboro, VT 05301

Location: Travel Route 9 west 0.3 miles from junction with I-91 in Brattleboro; south on Guilford Street; and 200 feet to the bridge.

The Creamery Bridge was built in 1879 and a sidewalk and slate roof were added in 1917. Town lattice truss; 80 feet long. Parking in park on south side of bridge.

Dummerston Bridge Dummerston Bridge West Dummerston VT

West Dummerston Covered Bridge Road West Dummerston, VT 05357

Location: Route 30 north 0.7 mile from West Dummerston; turn east on West Dummerston Covered Bridge Road. Travel 150 feet to the bridge.

The West Dummerston Bridge, built by Celeb B. Lamson in 1872, carries East-West Road over the West River. Completely restored in 1998. Two-span Town lattice truss. Parking in lot near the bridge.

Green River Bridge

Jacksonville Stage Road Guilford, VT 05301

Location: 1.4 miles south of junction I-91 exit 1 on US5 to Guilford then right 4.1 miles to Guilford Center and 0.6 miles ahead; then right 2.4 miles on Stage Road; left 0.1 mile to the bridge.

The Green River Bridge, built in 1870, carries Jacksonville Stage Road over the Green River. Town lattice truss; 104 feet long. Parking can be difficult near the bridge.

Hall / Osgood Bridge

Sunderland Hill Road Rockingham, VT 05101

Location: Route 121 east 1.2 miles from junction with Westminster Street in Saxtons River, north on Sunderland Hill Road 200 feet to the bridge. The bridge is east of Saxtons River.

Hall Bridge, built about 1867, was destroyed by a truck in 1980, and an authentic replacement was built in 1982. Town lattice; 120 feet long.

Henry / Burt Bridge Henry / Burt Bridge Bennington VT

River Road Bennington, VT 05201

Location: South-southwest of North Bennington. Travel Route 67A south 1.2 miles from junction with VT67 in North Bennington; west on River Road; 0.5 miles south on River Road; 150 feet to the bridge.

The Henry or Burt Bridge crosses the Waloomsac River in Bennington. This bridge is a short distance from the rebuilt Paper Mill Bridge and the Silk Bridge. It was built in 1840 and rebuilt in 1989. Between those times, the bridge had two sets of town lattice trusses to handle the weight of heavy loads of pig iron drawn by oxen. This made the Henry bridge the strongest covered bridge in Vermont. Town lattice truss; 127 feet long. Parking along Murphy Road.

Kidder Hill Bridge

Bear Hill Road Grafton, VT 05146

Location: 0.1 miles east of Grafton on Route 121 then right on Bear Hill Road; then 0.2 miles to the bridge. The bridge is located on the south edge of Grafton.

The Kidder Hill Bridge, built in 1870, carries Kidder Hill Road over the South Branch of the Saxton River. Modified kingpost truss with a span of 67 feet. Parking in pulloffs near the bridge.

Paper Mill Village Bridge

Murphy Road Bennington, VT 05201

Location: US7 north 1.2 miles from junction with Route 9 in Bennington; then northwest on Route 7A 0.8 miles; continue northwest on Route 67A west 1.4 miles; south on Murphy Road; 250 feet to the bridge.

The Paper Mill Bridge, built in 1889, carries Murphy Road across the Waloomsac River. This bridge is a short distance from rebuilt Silk Bridge and the Henry Bridge. Town lattice truss; 125 feet long. Parking in pulloffs on north side of bridge.

Scott Bridge

Route 30 East Townshend, VT 05359

Location: Take Route 30 east 1.6 miles from the junction with Route 35 in Townshend to the bridge on the south side of the road. The bridge is located between Townshend and West Dummerston.

The Scott Bridge, built by Harrison Chamberlin in 1870, is a three-span structure. One span is town lattice truss with an arch, the next two spans are kingpost trusses with steel rods added for strength. The total length is 276 feet. This bridge carries Back Side Road over the West River. Parking in pulloffs near the bridge. This is a state-owned historic site.

Silk Road / Locust Grove Bridge

Silk Road Bennington, VT 05201

Location: US7 north 1.2 miles from junction with Route 9 in Bennington; northwest on Route 7A 0.8 miles; continue northwest on Route 67A and west 1.0 miles; south on Silk Road (opposite Bennington College); 0.2 miles to the bridge.

The Silk Bridge, built in 1840, carries Silk Road across the Waloomsac River. This bridge is a short distance from Paper Mill Bridge and the Henry Bridge. Parking in pulloffs on the north side of the bridge.

Victorian Village Bridge

Rockingham, VT 05101

Location: North of exit 6 on I-91, at the intersection of US 5 and Route 103, travel north on Route 103 for 2.5 miles. Bridge is an entrance to Vermont Country Store.

The Victorian Village Bridge is modified kingpost truss. The bridge span is 46 feet. Originally built in 1872, this bridge was dismantled and rebuilt in 1967. Privately owned. Parking at lot at Vermont Country Store.

Williamsville Bridge

Dover Road Newfane, VT 05345

Location: Off Route 30. Dover Road east 1.7 miles from junction with North Street in East Dover to the bridge. The bridge is east of East Dover in the town of Newfane.

The Williamsville Bridge, built by Eugene F. Wheller in 1870, is a 120-foot-long Town lattice truss. Parking on far side of bridge.

Worralls Bridge

Williams Road Bartonsville, VT 05143

Location: From Lower Bartonsville Road go south 0.5 miles from Bartonsville; continue south on Route 103 0.4 miles; east on Williams Road; then 0.2 mile to the bridge.

The Worrall Bridge, built in 1868 by the Sanford Granger, carries Williams Road over the Williams River. Town lattice; 86 feet long. Parking on west side of bridge.