Various dates in the late 1860s to early 1870s are given for the construction of this bridge. In 1960, plans were being made to tear the bridge down. The owner of the nearby Lyneburke Motel acquired the threatened bridge and had it moved to their property, where it spans the East Branch of the Passumpsic River. The public is allowed to respectfully enter the property to view the bridge, however it is closed to foot traffic and awaiting restoration. Paddleford truss, 117 feet long.
VT Route 102 at Columbia Bridge RoadLemington, VT, 05903Phone:
The Columbia Bridge, built in 1912, is the third bridge at this site, replacing a previous bridge that burned in 1911. It crosses the Connecticut River between Lemington and Columbia, NH. A single span supported by Howe trusses, it is 146 feet long. The Columbia Bridge and Mount Orne Bridge (built 1912 at Lancaster, New Hampshire) are also the last covered bridges built on public highways during the historic period of covered bridge construction in New Hampshire and Vermont that began about 1820.
This bridge was built in 1878 and, because of safety problems, it was completely dismantled and restored in 1995, when a pedestrian walkway also was added. Crosses the Passumpsic River. Queenpost truss; 56 feet long.